PHOTO TOURS 2023
CLICK HERE TO READ TESTIMONIALS
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Tour 1 ALPS + DOLOMITES - the OG bestselling tour: Oct 2 - 7 2023 (starts around 9.30am and ends around 2pm in Innsbruck)
Tour 2 ALPS + LAKES - a brand-new tour through some of Austria's most beautiful areas: Oct 16 - Oct 20 2023 (starts around 10am and ends around 2pm in Salzburg) *ideal for astrophotography + autumn colours if we're lucky
Price: €3290 [a €600 deposit via Transferwise or PayPal is required to confirm your booking; you can pay the rest all at once or in small increments]
Participants: 8-10 + Sony Imaging Pro Ambassador Carmen Huter (hi, that's me) + Assistant, award-winning photographer, and all round wonderful human Ryan de Dominicis
Moderate level of fitness required, all levels of photography welcome (whether you prefer to take phone snaps or want to make the most of your professional mirrorless camera, we've got you)
*Please note that most retail other than some grocery stores are closed on Sundays in Austria - just in case you were planning on getting some last minute gear the day before.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
All accommodation (a mix of comfortable mountain huts and stunning family run luxury hotels - mostly double rooms)
All comfortable transport
All breakfasts (usually buffet style)
3 out of 5 dinners *all food will be vegan-friendly, fresh, and delicious
- Night Photography (weather dependent)
- Situational Portraiture
- Guidance on image & exposure analysis in-the-field, as-we-shoot
- Post-processing (usually on day 5 but can change depending on the weather)
- the opportunity to test out a big variety brand-new professional Sony gear
Great chat and plenty of unqualified life advice
WhatsApp group to connect, answer questions and especially for travellers keen to link up before or after the photo tour starts
A very exciting goodie bag
PS. I am also studying to be a licensed hiking guide this year and will have completed all modules except the winter one by the time I meet you! Of course, I will hire certified mountain guides where necessary to make sure you are always in safe and knowledgeable hands.
PPS. Potentially my fury best friend Heidi will join us - let me know if you'd like that or prefer to be a dogless group, I promise I am not offended either way (Heidi might be though...). Obviously, Heidi will stay with her human dad if you're allergic.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
Your flights and transport to and from Innsbruck / Salzburg (I recommend you fly into Munich, Vienna, Bolzano, or ideally, Salzburg, or Innsbruck)
Travel insurance (compulsory)
Photography equipment (between you and me, Sony Austria will help us out with some gear for you to try)
Lunches, snacks, drinks, and 2x dinners
Optional tandem paragliding for roughly EUR100 can be arranged - it's a once in a lifetime experience
ESSENTIAL PACKING LIST
For the hiking parts of this trip, I don't love cotton as it will not keep you warm and can be dangerous if wet - opt for merino wool instead.
Please note, you do not need to purchase these exact brands - this is simply from personal experience. You know what works best for you in the outdoors.
- Hiking boots, trail runners are fine too ONLY if your ankles are used to it, and they have great grip (I personally love La Sportiva, Hoka, and Danner)
- A warm down jacket with a hood (Patagonia, The North Face, and Arc'teryx have beautiful, lightweight ones - pick a colour that you will love to see in photos)
- Gore-Tex / windbreaker jacket
- Thermal shirts & pants (these workshops are held later than usual, this means we will have better light and fewer people on the trails, but it could also be much colder)
- 1-2 Fleece layers
- Hiking pants/leggings (Fjallraven, Lululemon, Patagonia, Outdoor Voices, etc.)
- Thin(ish) thermal gloves
- Woollen beanie
- Socks & Underwear (Icebreaker is awesome for merino underwear)
- Walking shorts (fingers crossed for lots of beautiful autumn sunshine)
- Day pack (this is what you will carry for all our hikes, I tend to use an Ortovox 30l bag - it will need to fit a change of clothing, camera gear, snacks, a water bottle, a sleeping bag liner, toiletries, and your first aid kit)
- A sturdy duffel or a small, lightweight (carry on) suitcase - this will be filled with everything you don't need for our overnight hikes. Please keep the size small as it won't fit in our van otherwise.
- Merino or silk sleeping bag liner - this is essential for our overnight hikes where bedding will be provided, but a liner is mandatory
- Headlamp, if not solar-powered, remember to bring batteries
- Polarised sunglasses
- Camera equipment including a small, lightweight tripod if you would like to tackle astrophotography, a 24-70 F2.8 lens is a perfect go-to if you'd only like to bring one, a wide angle lens (i.e. 14 or 16mm) will be the perfect fit for astro - I tend to carry my gear when hiking in either a small camera cube or padded lens bags (you can find those on Amazon), a Peak Design camera clip also comes in very handy along the trails
- SPF 30-50 sunscreen + lip balm
- Packing cubes - they will help you keep your gear organised since we move locations almost every day
- Personal hygiene products
- Medical kit: tablets for headache, diarrhoea, flu, cough, nausea as well as antibiotics, antihistamines, anti-inflammatory gel or tiger balm to soothe sore muscles, rehydration salts, and plasters (of course, we won't be far from civilisation at any point, but I want you to be prepared. I also ask you to get a general checkup at your GP well in advance of your trip to make sure you are good to adventure. Please be sensible and go do that. Thank you, love you.)
- A small first aid kit
- Sunhat or cap
- Playing cards
- Hard copies of passports and other essential docs such as your travel insurance number and flights
- Euro cash (used for tips, showers, drinks)
- Spare SD cards, camera batteries & a lens cleaning kit
- Passport must be valid for 6 months after return date
- Universal plug
- Earplugs and a sleeping mask
- Light, fast drying towel (a small one will suffice)
- Energy/protein bars and other snacks you love
- Casual clothing for everyday exploring and dinners (and hey, girlfriends, if you want to wear a gorgeous dress or get changed into one at your favourite photo spot, go for it!)
- Sandals or sneakers (think anything from Brikenstocks to Teva sandals or Veja sneakers)
- Swimwear (just in case you feel inclined for a morning swim in a glacial lake)
- Water bottle: Tap weather is safe and delicious everywhere but in one location, and we will stock up with water beforehand.
OPTIONAL PACKING LIST
- Supplements (i.e. B12, vitamin C - best to get a big blood test before the trip to know what you need)
- Hiking Poles (although I highly recommend them! Make sure they are foldable)
- Waterproof pants
- Your journal
- Some accessories you would like to use for photos (i.e. old camera gear, a hat, a beautiful book, etc)
- A Polaroid or film camera
- Outdoor speakers
- Solar charger
- Pocket knife
- Sleeveless down jacket
- Belt for passport and valuables
- Ziploc bags to protect gear
- Weatherproof sd card holder and lens caps (I recommend Polar Pro)
- Solid laundry bar (I use one from Ethique)
- Insulated water bottle
TOUR 1 Innsbruck tips: I recommend you to stay at the Faktorei, Stage 12, or Penz Hotel a couple of nights before and walk or take the tram up to Hungerburg and beyond - you can take beautiful hikes to Umbrueggler Alm or Hoettinger Alm or even all the way up to Hafelekar Peak - there's a gondola too. You can find all the details on the hikes, via ferratas, climbing routes, and the gondola here. Nockspitze is another stunning short hike and starts in Axamer Village (you can take a bus here). If you want something more chill, the Swarovski Crystal Worlds in Wattens also make for a beautiful half day exploration.
You must also check out Hofgarten and Hofburg, the Inn Promenade (esp around sunset around the university area or at Marktgraben), and the beautiful walks around Bergisel. For food, check out Markthalle, Bio Denns (organic groceries), Greenroot (zero waste grocery store), Baecker Ruetz (bakery), Machete (the best burritos), My Indigo (curries to go), Mundvoll (curries, bowls and smoothies to go), The Green Flamingo (vegan comfort food), Olive (veggie amazingness), Ludwigs (burgers), L'Osteria (Italian), Due Sicilie (Italian), haepinest (coffee and breakfast), Himal Nepali Kitchen, and Woosabi (Asian Fusion).
TOUR 2: Salzburg tips to follow.
Be sure to check out my IG highlighted stories and feed posts for more insights into the magic that expects you. If you'd like to keep it a surprise, which I'd choose, then it's best to simply read the testimonials and trust my word that I will try my very best to make this an unforgettable, life affirming, inspiring trip for you! This trips aims to be more than just another photography workshop or influencer travel tour. It is about creating and connecting, with yourself, each other, nature, creativity, and everything in between. I want you to have a chance to personally grow and invest in your wellbeing. Any questions, email or dm me. I cannot wait to meet you!